Thursday, May 1, 2014

Training Intensity and Pace Progression


Figure 1: Polar RC3 GPS.
Introduction

My best friend is my Polar heart rate monitor and training computer (see Figure 1). I always run with her. She understands me. She understands how I feel. She knows when I'm upset or if I had a drink last night. But she never judges me. She knows when I should add more speed, when I need to hold back or when I'm doing great. We are a team. She communicates indirectly using a lot of numbers. And I love numbers.


Intensity Levels

To define accurately the training intensities the two heart rate extremes need to be measured: the maximum heart rate and the resting heart rate. Measuring the resting heart is easy, but measuring the maximum heart is not. It is tough to get out the maximum. In my opinion the best ways to get it out of you is by running a Cooper test (12-minute run) with a maximum finishing kick or 3K to 5K all-out race with a strong finishing kick. The problem is that you need to be in pretty good shape to be able to get it all-out and people who are starting to workout will find it difficult to run a Cooper test at a high intensity. There is also the psychological factor involved and that's why it is really difficult (next to impossible) to get the maximum out of you in practice. There is a well known formula (1) to estimate the maximum heart rate:

Maximum heart rate = 220-Age (1).

But the formula is kind of the same if the average adult male shoe size is 41 (US 8), then according to this imaginary universal shoe size formula we all go out and buy the size 41 shoes, without trying them on, and then most of us get bitterly disappointed and feel deceived at home when the shoes don't fit.. at all! But it is not THAT important in reality to have the maximum heart rate nailed exact. In the end your guts and experience should tell you after a while if you are going too slow or too fast for a certain training intensity.

There are two ways to indicate the intensity level. The normal (see formula (2)) and most common way is to simply calculate percentage of the maximum heart rate and use that heart rate count as an indicator of certain intensity. In my case for example 75% training intensity is (0,75*185)=139. Another way is to use Karvonen intensity formula (3). Besides the maximum heart rate it takes the resting heart rate in to account. The two formulas are

Normal intensity = (intensity)*(max heart rate) (2),

Karvonen intensity = [(max heart rate)-(resting heart rate)]*(intensity)+(resting heart rate) (3),

Figure 2: My Training Intensities and Heart
Rates at age 32 (26th April 2014).
where intensity is 0,60 to 1,00 (60% to 100%).

It doesn't really matter much which formula you use as long as you keep on using the same formula. I use the normal formula when I think about and describe my training intensities. My heart rate and training intensity information is presented in Figure 2.


Workout Intensities

Recovery Run
(126-135 bpm) / (68%-73%)

The recovery run is the lowest intensity running that I do. In this category fall all the Warm ups, Cool downs, Jogs between repetitions, and Recovery Runs. I spend the most time and run the most distance at this training intensity during a whole year. The heart rate monitor is very useful to make sure that the intensity remains very easy, that is under 135 bpm for me.


Easy Run
Figure 3: Recovery Run (red) and Easy Run (blue) pace (line) and
distance (bar) progression during the first 24 months after comeback.
(136-146 bpm) / (74%-79%)

Easy running is about 20-30 seconds per kilometer faster than Recovery Running. Easy running is still very much aerobic, but longer than Recovery Running as this pace is not there just to add easy kilometers but serves as a more intense aerobic training stimulus. Recovery Running and Easy Running combine together about half of all the running distance that I do. The Recovery Run and Easy Run pace and distance progression during my first 24 months of training after coming back is presented in Figure 3. In the graph I have used the monthly average values.


Long Run

To run a fast race at any distance you need to run simulations of the race in practice. For shorter distances (e.g. 5K, 10K and half marathon) the specific-endurance training is done by running Tempo Runs or Long Intervals at a pace that is close to the race pace. Marathon is different. When training for marathon to simulate the race conditions and fatigue one must run much longer. Hence, the weekly Long Runs become the key specific-endurance workouts in marathon training.

There are four types of Long Runs that I am implementing in my next training cycle for marathon. I call them Easy Long Run, Progressive Long Run, Long Hard Run, and Interval Long Run.

Easy Long Run pace is close to the current Easy Run pace, but longer. The Easy Long Runs build the raw endurance that is needed to complete the 42 kilometers distance. I do Easy Long Runs in the early part of the marathon training cycle. Up to 39 kilometers.

Progressive Long Runs are Long Runs that will become faster and faster during the workout. They give a bit harder and different training stimulus than the Easy Long Runs. I use Progressive Long Runs in the middle part of the marathon training cycle.

Long Hard Runs are steady pace Long Runs that are run about 20 seconds per kilometer slower than the goal marathon pace. The training stimulus is pretty hard and these workouts are done in middle and late part of the marathon training cycle.

Interval Long Runs simulate most closely the actual marathon racing. They are run as "on" and "off" segments, where on-segment could be the goal marathon pace and off-segment 10 seconds per kilometer slower than the goal marathon pace. This kind of Long Run prepares the body pretty good for running a fast marathon, without taking too much toll. The best specific-endurance practice would be running a marathon race, but the recovery would take too much time and the gains would be negative.


Progression Run

Progression Run provides a moderate stimulus for aerobic development. I use the Progression Runs in the early part of the training cycle when I am not yet ready to hit the Tempo Runs. The Progression Run is otherwise a typical Easy Run, but the workout ends with harder running in the end.


Moderate Run
(147-157) / (80%-85%)

Moderate Runs are done at higher intensity than Easy Runs, but still remaining under the lactate threshold. They provide good training stimulus close but under the Marathon Pace intensity. In a typical training week I run twice at hard intensity, a long run, and then I run once or twice at moderate intensity. Some runners run three times at hard intensity per week, but then they miss out all the training stimulus that could be obtained by running at moderate intensity. I believe in using all the training intensities in a certain mix that is dynamic and changing.


Fartlek Run

Fartlek (or speedplay) is a liberal moderate intensity running workout. The paces are not written in stone. The pace is based on perceived feelings. There are two types of Fartlek Runs that I do: Ladder and Hilly Run. A typical Ladder workout could be 200m/200m, 300m/200m, 400m/300m, 500m/400m, 600m/400m, 500m/400m, 400m/300m, 300m/200m, 200m/200m, 300m/200m and so on. The details are not really important as long as I enjoy the running and spend time at the moderate intensity level. Fartlek Hilly Runs I run usually in a manner that I run hard the uphills and then cruise the flat and downhill parts, overall moderate.


Marathon Pace
(158) (85%)

Marathon is different from the other distances that I run. Brad Hudson says: "The endurance challenge in marathon is so severe that the goal marathon pace has to be a virtual cakewalk, aerobically." Marathon training and racing preparation aims to keeping up the goal pace for the first 32 km. What happens after that is up to the running gods. You can't tell what happens in the last 10 km. That is when the running changes from physical to mental. Every step will hurt anyway. You can practice for it, but you can't simulate it like you can the first 32 km, because it would take too much time to recover from the practice.


Tempo Run

Sometimes called Threshold Run. Doing too much running at goal pace early in the training cycle makes you peak too early. That is why Tempo Running should be done at various different paces: Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, and 3K Paces. Their ratio vary depending on the distance of the peak race. My Tempo Run pace and distance progressions are presented in Figure 4. 

Figure 4: Tempo Run pace and distance progression during
24 months at Marathon, Half marathon, and 10K Race paces.
Half Marathon Pace:
(160) (86%)
Half Marathon racing is done at or just below the lactate threshold. The Half marathon pace is used in the longest Tempo Runs.

10K Pace:
(163) (88%)
Tempo Runs at 10K pace are hard workouts, that make you suffer. Up to about 8km.

5K Pace:
(165) (89%)
5K pace can be used in Tempo Runs up to 5K Time Trial. Typical workout would be a short 3km Tempo Run at 5K pace.

3K Pace:
(167) (90%)
Tempo Running at 3K pace is usually a 3km Time Trial Run. 3K pace is so fast that it is more often used in Long Intervals workout.


Intervals

I have divided the interval workouts to Long and Short Intervals. The Short Intervals include fast, relaxed sprinting from 50 meters up to 400 meters. Longer than 400 meters intervals I consider Long Intervals. Up to 2000 meters. For example: the key specific-endurance workout in my recent 10K Training program was 4x2000m (at goal 10K pace) + 1K max effort. The difference between Long Intervals and Tempo Runs is that the Intervals are repetitious and Tempo Runs are one continuous and long "repetition".


Steep Hill Sprints

I run steep hill sprints to build strength. It's like lifting weights at the gym except even better for distance running and more fun. The hamstrings are my weakness in my legs. Eccentric stretching and steep hill sprinting have made possible for me to run fast. Lately I have been using the steepest hill of about 50 meters length I could find. Up to 10 repetitions, twice a week.


Racing

The maximum intensity that I can produce in a race is always higher than what I am able to get out in practice conditions. But the average heart rate during competition is still at the same level as in practice. In essence the race is just a very long Tempo Run at goal race pace. I haven't been doing much racing as practice, and so far I have liked it that way.


That's it for this time. I will have more graphs to present when I have done more running and collected more data. Two years is a short time in the world of running data and statistics.

1 comment: